How do I start an eCommerce business?
The best way to start an eCommerce business is to plan it, resource it correctly and make sure it’s search engine friendly before you go ‘live’.
1. Know your audience and product
The first step when starting an eCommerce business is researching your market and deciding what to sell.
- Find a gap in the market
- Track your competitors
- Learn the detail behind potential customers
- Create an attractive price point
- And, if you need it, scope the best manufacturer or supplier for you
Don’t be afraid to start small with a ‘minimum viable product’ (or MVP) that you know people want. You can grow as you learn about what customers buy and what their behaviour suggests they need.
2. Line up your eCommerce business team
You could have an eCommerce shopping cart in mind like Shopify, WooCommerce and PrestaShop (all supported by Tyro eCommerce) or you might design and build your own website.
No matter how it takes shape, you need expert resources along the way – such as a photographer, graphic designer, web designer or coder, and a copywriter.
It’s important to work with specialists who understand how to build and write for search engines (SEO). You want customers to be able to find you without knowing your web address.
eCommerce site tips:
- Photography – 2-3 images per product; shot in a light space; good contrast and lots of clarity
- Writing – work with an SEO copywriter; brief them on the product benefits that customers will love; make the information easy to scan with sub-headers, short sentences and bullet points
- Site design – easy to move around; mobile responsive (given the bulk of users could be on their phones); small (in size) image files that won’t slow down page loads
3. Link eCommerce payments
You can take payments in a few different ways. With Tyro for example, we can do everything from invoicing, secure payments, card authorisations, subscriptions, connecting with your EFTPOS instore sales, and simple payment plug-ins for shopping carts.
Was this helpful?
Call us: 02 8907 1700